Saturday, 2 January 2016

Moonshadow Creative - Background

I've finally bitten the bullet and decided to set up a proper blog for my Nail Art and Dressmaking (no one wants to read about Tax, do they?) This is mainly for my own amusement, but also to give me somewhere to keep a bit more information about the creations I usually post to facebook, and to put it all in one place.

So, in true blogging style, I shall firstly give a bit of background, before I wade through my archive of photos to try to play catch up a bit with the story so far.....

Nail Art

I have been a nail art addict since I acquired my first blue nail polish from a bootsale when I was about 11, and I have not left the house without a full set of polished nails since.

Before I found that blue polish, it had all been  Avon pinks and reds, and really nothing to get excited about. When I found the blue stuff, a whole new world opened up. For the next few years, it was still difficult to get the interesting colours, especially living out on the marshes, but a new company, Spectacular, seemed to appear in the mid nineties, selling the full range of colours, and then various other companies followed suit, and now there is a huge selection in even the most basic chemist shop.

Wearing nail polish was always a bit of a no no at school, not that that really stopped me, but by the time I went to 6th form, no one seemed to mind, and so for the last (almost) 2 decades, I have worn full on nail art as a permanent feature, complete with nail piercing.

In 2003/4 I took my manicure City and Guilds (at the same time as my Chartered accountancy exams - busy year!) and while I only do the tiniest bit of paid nail work, it has remained an absolute passion, and my collection has expanded.

18 months ago I started a challenge to use a little bit of every polish I own, with a target of 2 and a half years, and have been posting these up weekly on facebook. I shall play catch up on here over time, and aim to post the new stuff too.

Dressmaking

I got my first proper machine at around the same time as the blue nail polish, but at that point, my mum was still making a lot of my clothes, so I got a bit lazy. I made the odd thing over the years (I shall try to put the photos up), and took my Textiles GCSE, but the school I went to did not offer the A Level, and my interest was not really piqued again  until after the university years.

I muddled along for a few years making this and that until I went to an evening class where I met some amazingly creative people - Becki http://www.gothclothclothing.co.uk/events/ and Lisa http://www.stitchesupholstery-essex.co.uk/ who really inspired me. I also met a lot of Sarah Beanie wannabes (pet hate warning alert!) who wanted to learn to make "Vintage Clothing". Don't get me started.

Anyway, that aside, I am now making more clothes than I know where to store, but its all good fun!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment